Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sage-Scented White Bean Topping

Sage-Scented White Bean Topping

For the past month or two since making the acquaintance of the delightful and talented cookbook author Betsy DiJulio, I have been meaning to try some of the delicious looking recipes found at her blog The Blooming Platter of Vegan Recipes.  She is an incredibly creative chef and I'm always amazed at the interesting flavour pairings and dishes that come out of her kitchen.   My intention today was to make her Vegan Nachos with Sage Scented White Beans and Cheddar-Spinach Sauce.  I carefully prepared my shopping list yesterday and was sure I had everything ready.  But, I forgot one ingredient; the beer.  Crap.  I think this might be an essential element in the Cheddar-Spinach Sauce.  Okay, moving on to plan two, no problemo!

I simply love bean dip and so the bean dip portion of the recipe was made.  The orange pepper gives it a lovely colour and the fresh sage adds quite a unique flavour.  And best of all, it's really easy to make.  Just fry up some onions, garlic and pepper then add the beans, olive oil, salt and pepper and sage.  (See Betsy's recipe here)

I actually threw it all in the food processor instead of mashing it with a fork on the off chance my little miss would try it if she didn't see the onion chunks.  And now, I can't stop eating it.  I am bloated with happiness and have so far slathered four good sized hunks of toasted baguette with this bean-y wonder.  The rest of my brunch has gone by the wayside.  Bye-bye tofu scramble and greens, hello and welcome to one of my new favourite snacks.  If this is any indication of what's inside The Blooming Platter Cookbook then it's going to the top of my Christmas wish-list.

Sage-Scented White Bean Topping

5 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Gosh!

    I have to make this. I adore sage, and white beans.

    This looks incredibly tasty!!!

    And the photo are great, Lee. They make me want to eat the food right off the page. I'm still waiting for food to be sent via the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started eating it while I was taking photos, I couldn't wait! So tasty! It's the first time I've used fresh sage too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore sage. For years I thought I was craving turkey at Thanksgiving but what I was craving was the sage in the stuffing, which was easy to make vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the herbs or poultry seasing in the stuffing was what I liked too and sage is definitely one of those flavours!

    ReplyDelete