Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Fadge - Irish Potato Goodness

Fadge

What's one of the best ways to use up left-over mashed potatoes?   Well, I'll tell you.  It's Fadge, also known as Irish Potato Scones.  These tasty, pan-fried, savory snacks are something I used to always look forward to eating when visiting my grandmother as a child.  She never gave me a recipe or instructions and she is long gone but it wasn't hard to figure out.  We tend to eat them straight from the pan but they would go well as a brunch item accompanying a tofu scramble or something saucy for dipping.      

They're super simple to make and kids love them.  My measurements are not exact because I tend to use left-overs but I promise, once you make these a time or two you will be a pro.  If you prefer precise amounts then Googling "Fadge" will yield you many results.

Fadge Directions:

1.  Pre-heat a non-stick fry-pan or cast iron skillet on medium heat.

2.  Take ANY amount of mashed potatoes whether they be left-over or fresh.  (If I'm making these with fresh mashed potatoes I mix in some Earth Balance (vegan butter), salt and non-dairy milk or stock as I normally would while mashing)

3. Mix small amounts of flour with the mashed potatoes until a soft ball is formed and you can roll it out without the dough sticking to the surface of your counter top.  Also add a small amount of salt to taste, if you don't they will be quite bland.  You might have to experiment a little with the seasoning, I just wing it.

4.  If you have a large amount of dough, divide into fist sized balls and shape into a flat, circles.  Roll out to the desired thickness. I don't like them too fat so they're usually about 1/4" thick.  Use a knife or a pizza cutter to divide the circle into as many pieces as desired, just like cutting a pizza.  I usually make 8.  

5. Add a little (1 tsp) Earth Balance or cooking spray to the pre-heated pan and fry until nicely browned.  Flip over and repeat until the second side is brown.  Be careful not to burn them.

Enjoy!

I'm sure there are all sorts of ways you could fancy these up but sometimes simple is enough.      

10 comments:

  1. Lee, This looks unbelievably delicious! Great photo too! Very tempting. I'm glad you were able to closely replicate your grandmother's recipe. Simple is good for foods such as this, but sometimes I'd be tempted to add in some garlic and/or onions. Of course, doing that would make the food less kid friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is traditionally a simple recipe but I'm sure you could add in anything to suit your personal taste. My grandmother would roll over in her grave if I were to add garlic. she HATED garlic LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't want any grandmothers rolling over. ;-) I love garlic but I'd also love this just as you posted/made it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lee how did you know I needed something to do with my mashed potato leftovers from last nigh?!

    I made these with the cumin and coriander kale and beet greens I had leftover. The mashed potatoes had braised garlic and mustard seed in them. I was going to try and take the greens out, but figured, meh. They're delicious, Lee! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good timing!

    Wow, I'm glad all those extra ingredients worked. It's funny, I've never thought to add in other flavours because I'm so used to eating them the traditional way but both you and Lisa have given me some good ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so good. Next time I make mashed potatoes, I'll make more just so I can try this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Babette, you can actually make these with just a bit of leftovers. I hate throwing out good food so I often have enough to make just a couple of pieces of fadge but it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yum! I'll have to remember that!
    Did you use cookie cutters for the animal & heart shapes? Love that! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did use cookie cutters for the fadge animals. My grandmother traditionally made triangles but we make all sorts of crazy shapes.

      Delete
  9. For those with gluten intolerance will non gluten flour work OK?

    ReplyDelete