Thursday, July 14, 2011

Hearty Stew


Hearty Stew

I've had Colleen Patrick-Goudreau's lovely book The Vegan Table for quite a while now but haven't taken the time to explore it thoroughly.   Even though we are in the middle of summer, tonight I decided to make the Hearty Stew recipe featuring tempeh, potatoes, carrots and onions.  It's aptly named and was extremely simple to put together.  Even a novice cook could not possibly screw this up.  All the veggies get chopped up and thrown into one pot with veggie stock, a bit of tomato paste and some herbs including thyme, marjoram and tarragon.  You don't even need to peel the carrots and potatoes if you're feeling really lazy.  

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with tarragon.  I find the aroma quite strong and a little off-putting but can enjoy the flavour as long as it's balanced with other ingredients.  I was really happy with how the stew turned out and even happier that it took so little time to prepare.   There's something very satisfying about potatoes cooked in a savoury, saucy stew and the tempeh remained slightly firm while absorbing the flavours of the broth.   Yum.

3 comments:

  1. I am so impressed with your photos and your text entries. I'm not a tempeh fan but this does look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa, the tempeh actually absorbed the flavours from the stew and didn't retain its usual flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just about to say the same thing as Lisa. Your picture for this is so beautiful. And as a non-fan of tempeh too, Lisa, I can say this was a really good way to use it. Even my boyfriend liked it and he hates tempeh.

    ReplyDelete