Monday, October 3, 2011

Egyptian Inspired Fava Bean Mash

Egyptian Inspired Fava Bean Mash - before being mashed

This recipe is inspired by an Egyptian breakfast dish made from mashed fava beans and traditionally eaten with pita bread.  I've never had the original but came across a recipe on All Recipes that sounded simple and interesting.  I was a little unsure about the directions and an ingredient or two seemed to be missing so decided to do my own little riff on ful mudames.  I love discovering new comfort food that's delicious and healthy and this was my first time cooking with fava beans. I wasn't disappointed, the combination of cumin and lemon give this dish a wonderful, warm tanginess that will have you scraping the bowl clean with the last bit of pita (or any flatbread).  

Note: the original recipe called for parsley but I have used cilantro because I love it.  I think garlic would be good too but I left it out for personal reasons.  I first smashed the beans the old-fashioned way with a fork but then decided I wanted to pop the whole thing in the food processor to see the difference.  I liked the flavour of the more blended but still slightly chunky version better.  

Egyptian Inspired Fava Bean Mash

1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion diced
1/2 red bell pepper diced
1 tsp cumin
1 large tomato diced
1 can fava beans (reserve liquid)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
juice from 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper to taste

In a large non-stick frying pan, on medium-high heat, cook the onions in olive oil for a few minutes until translucent.  Add the cumin, red pepper and tomato and cook, stirring, for approximately 5 minutes.   Add the beans, lemon juice, cilantro, salt and pepper along with a couple of tablespoons of the reserved bean liquid.  Simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes until the flavours have combined.  Smash the beans with a fork or pulse in a food processor until you are satisfied with the consistency.   Eat with flat bread of your choice.

Totally Yum!

7 comments:

  1. Tasty! That sounds like a really great weeknight meal. I always like favas when other people serve them to me but am never sure what to cook with them myself... thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! It looks delicious as is, prior to mashing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the looks of this. I make one or two big pots of beans each week. This is going on the "to make" list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone! I was very sad when we ran out of tortillas. This is going on my regular rotation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would think it would go well with any kind of breadstuff. Delicious! Lee, glad you found another "regular rotation" meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks wonderful. I have been wanting to try a recipe with fava beans!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was my first time using them too and they're so pretty! I had some of the leftovers warmed up on toast tonight. Mmmmm, I'm making myself hungry again.

    ReplyDelete