Saturday, October 15, 2011

Pumpkin Peanut Butter Oatmeal Squares

Pumpkin Peanut Butter Oatmeal Squares

It's pumpkin post day for a me and a few of my awesome buddies from the Vegan Cooking and Cookbooks group on Goodreads!   We are all posting pumpkin recipes and I have chosen these easy, moist and delicious squares that I wish I could take the credit for but actually found at another blog here.  I've altered the recipe somewhat, reducing the sugar by a third and adding my own mix of spices.  I've never purchased premixed pumpkin pie spice so I just Googled what was in it and added the amounts I wanted.  This recipe was really fast to put together and I was excited to try the peanut butter-pumpkin combination.

Pumpkin Peanut Butter Oatmeal Squares

1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 cups oats
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon dried ginger
1/8 teaspoon allspice

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a 8x8 or 9x9 square cake pan with foil and spray with oil.
In a medium sized bowl, stir together all ingredients until well mixed.  Pat down into pan and bake for 25 minutes.   Let them cool in the pan before you attempt to remove and slice.

15 comments:

  1. Oh Lee, These look so fabulous I might have to make them. I assume that's 3/4 a cup of brown sugar? I do have a wonderful pumpkin pie spice blend (that has more/different ingredients in it than in this recipe does) that Kathryn got me last year from Trader Joe's. I couldn't find it right in my city.
    In case you're interested it has cinnamon, ginger, lemon peel, nutmeg, cloves, cardamon. These square look delicious, and that's a really fabulous photo, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lisa! Yes, you're right about the 3/4 cup. I'll fix that omission right now. They are sweet enough for me but others might like them sweeter as in the original recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pumpkin, and peanut butter, and oatmeal? Say no more, I'm sold :) These sound and look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look great. i love love love oat bars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone! I had a guest over today who was a raw foodie and she liked them too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh yum!!! I'll have to make those right now, seriously!! Those look soo delicious!
    Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. And, these look "plenty sweet enough." ;-) I can't believe there was originally that much more sugar in them.

    Have you eaten them cold? I'm wondering if they'd be good to bring to a pot luck. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, just FYI in case you'd like to know, I did the calculation for the nutritional value of those squares (counting 9 servings):

    9 servings = 251 cal, 8.7 fat, 47 g carbs, 3.4 g fiber, 31 g sugar, 6 protein

    I can't wait to taste one tomorrow for breakfast with my coffee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa, they were all eaten over the course of the day and I had left them out on the counter at room temperature so they should be perfect for a pot luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Val, that's cool! Thanks so much. How did you do that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look really yummy! Almost all of my fave foods together. I might add some mini choc chips and/or raisins to the recipe.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a good idea Jeannette, I think in the original recipe she suggested that too. Maybe, I'll add that in up top! I think they would taste great with chocolate chips.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, gosh! I love your pumpkin-themed recipes ;-) I love making pumpkin-based baked goodies this time of year. I will have to try these; maybe next time I am at my sister's because Tyler can't eat peanut butter and it would be too cruel to make these in front of him!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look incredible! I've never had pumpkin and peanut butter together, but it's a brilliant idea!

    ReplyDelete