Sunday, October 17, 2010

Samosa Mashed Potato Pancakes

Hey everyone!  I'm back and cooking in my new home.  It's so exciting to have a new(ish) kitchen to work in with adequate cupboard space and a longer countertop.  I'm still finding my groove with this different layout but it's awesome that more than one person can actually be present in the kitchen with me and not get in my way.  I was chatting with some friends over on Goodreads the other day about how yummy potatoes are in just about every way.  The conversation inspired me to try a recipe that would use up some mashed potatoes I had sitting in the fridge.  Samosa Mashed Potato Pancakes from Vegan Brunch.    Doesn't that sound good?  I thought so too.  I love Indian inspired dishes so I was really looking forward to a savoury breakfast.

The first step in the recipe was to pop mustard seeds in hot oil for a few minutes and then continue sauteeing more seasonings such as ginger, garlic, cumin, carrots and onion.  I wasn't sure if the mustard seeds were supposed to turn black (mind did) and was concerned about how they would flavour the dish but I needn't have worried, I couldn't detect any bitterness or burnt flavour in the final product.  Half way through, I discovered there was no flour in the house but decided to go ahead with the recipe with the hope that everything would hold together in the pan.  They were a little on the wet side but the flavour was fantastic.   Next time I make them I'm sure we will enjoy more cohesive pancakes with all the same great flavour.

Samosa Mashed Potato Pancakes in the mixing bowl

Samosa Mashed Potato Pancakes in the pan!

My amazing friend Kathryn over at The Hedgehog in the Kitchen recently celebrated a birthday and her sister Ann whipped up a batch of Wheat Free Chocolate Chip Cookies from Veganomicon.   I haven't tried that recipe yet but they look and sound great!  I'm always looking for new chocolate chip recipes to try so thanks for posting about these.      

I look forward to getting back in my cooking groove and the challenge goes on!

4 comments:

  1. I'm not a mustard fan (I'd leave it out in the famous "hot dog" vegan Alfredo sauce) but these look really yummy, Lee. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look pretty good, especially for having no flour in them. Like we said, there are only good ways to fix potatoes. Welcome home -- welcome back! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are enjoying your new kitchen - yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks girls! I'm almost ready to post a few pics of my new kitchen. My shelves are up and only a few boxes remain shoved in the corner.

    ReplyDelete