Monday, July 26, 2010

Sweet Potato Black Bean Soup

Just about every cookbook I own contains a recipe for black bean soup but again, none were quite what I wanted so I created my own.   This is a quick chop and throw in the pot recipe, fast and easy.   If you don't have an immersion blender (I couldn't live without mine!) you could smash the soup up a bit with a potato masher or put a part of it in the blender and then back in the pot depending on how chunky or smooth you like it. 

Sweet Potato Black Bean Soup Recipe

1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion chopped
1 large carrot chopped
1 red pepper chopped
1 large sweet potato peeled and chopped
3 large fresh tomatoes chopped
1 15 ounce can of black beans
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
½ tsp turmeric
Sea salt
Black Pepper

Sauté the onion, carrot, pepper with the cumin and coriander for a few minutes. Add the sweet potatoes, tomatoes, black beans (rinsed) and veggie stock. Simmer for about 30 to 40 minutes. Use an immersion blender to puree to the desired consistency. Some people like it chunky but my daughter won’t eat anything with suspicious vegetable lumps I often err on the less chunky side. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment